Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sleep Study Update

This one took me a few days to get over before I could post.

As we feared Abby does suffer from Sleep Apnea and had 4 incidents where she stopped breathing in her sleep. I tried to explain it away as breath holding and she must have woken up and did it out of anxiety because it was dark and she didn't know where she was. But she was hooked up to dozens of wires so they could tell weather or not she was asleep..and she was.
She also suffers from what is called Hypopnea. Hyponea is a medical term for a disorder which involves episodes of overly shallow breathing or an abnormally low respiratory rate. This differs from apnea in that there remains some flow of air. Hypopnea events may happen while asleep or while awake.
The nurse also told me that girls with Rett Syndrome should never be put to sleep on their backs,should be elevated 30 degrees and on their side if possible.
Luckily our church is in process of making Abby a homemade sleep safe bed. I don't know all the details so I don't know if it will be electronic so we can raise the head or not. If not we will just buy her an Apnea wedge and already have some pillow rolls ordered so she can't roll over.
For now her PED is to keep an eye on her tonsils and we are to keep her on her allergy meds. If the tonsils get any bigger they will have to come out. If the breathing gets any worse at night she will have to go on cpap. I am praying it doesn't come to that. Makes my heart hurt.
So thanks for keeping up on my baby and keep her in your prayers. She,of course,is happy as a clam and this has probably been going on for years and we just didn't know.

3 comments:

Ann Marie said...

I'm sure you're glad the study if over. It doesn't sound like much fun. So sorry that Abby is having so many sleep issues. Sometimes is seems like our girls can't get a break. Hope the sleeping wedge helps to keep her safely positioned.

The MacDonald Family said...

sweet Abby, so sorry that she has apnea and the shallowing breathing - as if there isn't enough to worry about. Much love and prayers coming your way!!!

Wifey said...

We noticed Nora had sleep apnea before she turned two. I think I first noticed it while I rocked her to sleep and she would do it WHILE she was sleeping and I was still rocking her. It kinda freaked me out. We noticed she had really large tonsils and just decided to get them out. She doesn't have sleep apnea anymore, as long as we know. And she seems to sleep much better now... Not always. :)

Wish you the best of luck!

Kristy